Saturday, September 1, 2012

Day Six - morning

It's Saturday, which means Seth and I both got to sleep in. I was determined to make the spinach and egg muffins until I reread the recipe. It calls for four bags of 9oz spinach to make twelve muffins. I had one bag, which only covered maybe four. That's a huge waste of spinach for one breakfast (even though you can reheat the leftovers) so I decided against it and attempted a souffle fritatta instead. (Recipe here, omit butter for oil)

The only difference between a fritatta and a souffle fritatta is that you have to separate the yolks from the whites and beat separately. This recipe requires time to beat the whites into stiff peaks.

I ran out of peppers so I used up the rest of a tomato :) Seth hates tomatoes but I snuck them in anyway.


Beating whites into peaks takes pretty much forever if you don't have the patience. Luckily I do but I don't have a picture of them, just the process.

You're not done yet, keep going.

Even though they were peaky, my brain told me to keep going while my stomach yelled "IT'S FINE, THROW IT TOGETHER ALREADY WOMAN." So I listened to my stomach. I whipped up the egg yolks with a touch of olive oil and threw it in the bowl of egg whites, along with the vegetable medley.

That's when my egg whites went 'lol no' and turned into soup on me. I folded it all together as best as I could, tossed it into the pan, cooked on medium for a few minutes and tossed it into the oven on low broil for ten minutes.


It obviously came out differently from the recipe but it was still fluffy and delicious! Methinks we're going to stick to a regular fritatta from now on, though. If I ever make this again, I'm DEFINITELY beating it longer to prevent what had happened. No big deal though!

Well it's time to get ready for my day!  : )

2 comments:

  1. Seth doesn't like tomatoes? UM WTF. Cheyenne tomatoes are like top 3 favorite foods of mine. I've eaten tomatoes the way people eat apples since I've had teeth. Like. Tomatoes ♥
    Um I LOATHE beating egg whites into peaks. So Team Regular Frittata here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever he gets a burger he immediately takes them off. Lmao you remind me of this girl I knew, who would salt tomatoes and eat them like apples ew. I love snacking on cherry tomatoes but they're so expensive here :( Like 20 little ones for five dollars um no.

    Lmao I was not a souffle fan but maybe I'll perfect it someday.

    ReplyDelete